Skip to main content

An Interview with The Author

The following transcript is the artist's rendering of an interview of author Drew Fisher as conducted by Peter Vandenhof on May 29, 2017.

PV:  So, Drew. May I call you Drew?

DF:  Drew is fine.

PV:  How long have you been writing?

DF:  I've been writing since I was 16 years old. I had a long distance relationship. I fell in love with a girl literally the week before my family and I moved 250 miles away from her. So, I wrote letters.

PV:  Letters?

DF:  Yes. Back then people wrote letters. A family had one telephone line per household--which had to be shared among all family members. So, the phone was not an option. We didn't have computers or texting yet.

PV:  So you wrote letters?

DF:  Yep. Daily. Ten pages and more.

PV:  Every day.

DF:  Yep. I was so in love. I pined away a whole summer for the sake of a girl I'd only known a week. It's kind of like that oldest child in Captain Fantastic--

PV:  You mean, Bo?

DF:  I don't know. Was that his name? Anyway. Rather pitiful when you think about it. I thought I had met the love of my life at age 15. Just because some mutual friends got us to dance together at the first party I ever went to. And the weird thing is, I know that they were trying to set me up with a whole bunch of other girls, too. (pauses) What would have happened if it had been one of the other girls who danced with me first? Would my life have turned out drastically different?

PV:  A good question. One that you have, no doubt, thought about a great deal.

DF:  Surprisingly, no. I have never given it much energy.

PV:  And yet, you have such a vivd imagination!

DF:  I'm not so sure about that.

PV:  You write novels!

DF:  Do I? The way I've learned to figure it out, I write down my own alternate life paths so that I can get past those musings and move forward with the life I'm supposed to live.

PV:  The life you're supposed to live?

DF:  Oh, I don't know. Let's just say that there have been many times in my life that I've struggled with which direction to choose for myself and that these stories have appeared--have burst out of me--that have enabled me to feel as though I have lived one or two of those directions. Once the story has helped me to get that possible choice out of my system, I've been able to move forward in my own happy-go-lucky, charmed way.

PV:  Charmed?

DF:  Yes. I have had a very charmed life. I used to say that it was because I must have led a very bad past life and that karma is giving me an easy ride this time to make amends.

PV:  You believe in past lives?

DF:  I know past lives. My own and many, many other people's.

PV:  Really? You sound so convicted. How do you explain your certainty?

DF:  I have experienced glimpses or revisitations to some of my past lives.

PV:  And you're sure they're past lives?

DF: They are as real to me--and so full of sensual and intellectual information--as this interview. And now that they have been opened to me, they remain accessible for further exploration, further information gathering.

PV:  Like I said:  You have a very vivid imagination.

DF:  Okay. I've been nurturing a vivid imagination since I was a child--an imagination that has only been enhanced by years in the liberal arts, as an avid history buff (something I inherited from my mother and her father before us), as an elementary school teacher (with special interest in language arts, children's literature and social studies), as a parent of two now-grown daughters. When a story or letter or opinion piece comes to me it seems as if it flows through me--as if it were alive, the characters demanding to be given life through pen and paper. And it always turns out that the finished story is a way of purging or "molting" a version of me--of discarding something that is no longer useful or serving me--so that I can emerge new, refreshed, with less baggage to slow or weight me down.

PV:  If you've been writing for so long, how come you've never published?

DF:  The publishing and marketing side of writing has never interested me. You might say that it repelled me. Writing is beautiful, enjoyable, fun. And, as I said before, I learned early on that writing served as my "therapy." After I discovered and studied Jungian psychology and dream therapy, I lost interest in the world of fiction--both as a reader and a writer. My voice as a speaker of my truth needed to be bare--not hidden within the constructs of a make believe world.

PV:  So, what has changed? Why fiction, now, after all the years of denying its usefulness?

DF:  I've come to a place in my life in which I think my accumulated knowledge and experience, my truth and 'wisdom', has given me a rather unique perspective that might be beneficial to humans who are struggling with a decaying society and our repressed spirituality. Instead of pushing my opinions on everyone else with my opinion pieces, I am offering the reader an enjoyable, engaging story that can be enjoyed separate from the philosophies expressed within. People can read it, enjoy it, but not feel as if they have to react to the perspectives expressed within.

PV:  Why the decision and commitment to publishing and marketing a trilogy much less a novel?

DF:  The story that came to me, I knew--almost from the start--was going to be expressed best in three parts.

PV:  And when did you know that I was going to be the main character, the lead and your alter-ego?

DF:  I never said you were any of those. I mean, I know, now, that you are the main character--that the story follows your growth through your relationships with your school, with your Headmaster, with your girlfriend and all of the other members of the Order, but I never thought of you as my "alter ego."

PV:  But I am, aren't I?

DF:  I don't know. I have really thought about it much. Let me get back to you on that, okay?

PV:  Sure thing!

DF:  Can we stop the interview now?

PV:  Yeah! Sure! Thanks for taking the time to sit with me.

DF:  You're welcome.

PV:  Does this mean you'll do it again sometime?

DF:  It's possible.

PV:  Anything is possible.

DF:  Okay. It's likely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Architecture of the Buildings of Brig-Wallis Prep School, Part 4: Aubrey Hall

The Brig-Wallis Preparatory School for Boys campus's southernmost building, Aubrey Hall, was built over the site on which the pre-existing residence quarters for the Jesuit priests, their staff and animals, stood. With the purchase of the two properties on Polenstrasse late in 1806, it was quickly decided to raze these southernmost buildings and use Merchant House for the small school's initial residency. Throughout the first half of 1807, while debris and remnants were being cleared from the property, competing architectural design ideas were being commissioned. By June, a comprehensive design had been approved. The new campus would incorporate three new, inter-connected buildings  to be constructed to the south of, and connected to, both Merchant House and the Chapel. A general contractor had been hired, and various construction companies--Swiss, Italian, French, and German--had been hired to perform the task.      It should here be put forward the fact that the Order of Osi

Does the author, Drew Fisher, actually believe what he's writing about?

The question has come up a few times whether or not I really believe the theories and "cause of the end of the world" scenarios that I write about in the Osiris Plan trilogy. The short answer is: Yes. The longer answer is: This story is representational of my current beliefs with regard to metaphysics, cosmology, and the meaning and significance of human life; I truly see the human condition as an adventure within a set of thespian opportunities.      What I hope to imply here is that I am still growing; I am trying the to best of my abilities to remain open to new information--to remain open and willing to continue the process of expanding my beliefs, of continuing to be discriminating yet accepting and inclusive of new ideas and experiences. My beliefs and knowledge have, I think, been evolving in a way that I'd like to think are expansive. My conscious perspective has been progressing from narrow, ego- and anthropo-centric, to broader, morespiritual-based.      I hav

Brig-Wallis Architecture, Part 2: The Quad

The decision to build a training center/school and "home base" for the Order of Osiris had been bandied about for about 20 years before it was finally committed to. Long before the location for the school grounds had been decided upon and secured, there had been discussions and decisions made regarding campus designs and structures. Originally, it had been thought that an existing building would be the most natural (and simplest) scenario with which to work. But artistic natures being what they are, members of the Order soon realized how strong was their desire to build something "of their own." Thus, when the adjacent properties on the outskirts of Brig-Glis were purchased in 1806, an architectural design was already in hand.      The fully enclosed, inward-facing "quadrangular" arrangement of the school's buildings was based on the design of the "Mod Quad" at Merton College, Oxford, England--with which all Order members were familiar. When